Taking performance and style to the next level
The range, speed, and versatility of EV golf carts mean they’re becoming an increasingly popular mode of transportation across communities, beach towns, and urban areas like school or hospital campuses. Their efficiency and eco-friendliness have seen them evolve from mere golfing aids to customizable, trendy alternatives to conventional cars.
Even more exciting is their customizability.
New EV golf carts come with features that offer a level of comfort and functionality that rivals traditional cars. Optional features include rain covers, removable doors, upgraded upholstery, entertainment systems, custom paint jobs, and lift kits. Lifted golf carts are one of the fastest-growing categories, finding popularity among younger users.
As a result, more street-legal golf carts meet the requirements of low-speed vehicles (LSVs), making them registrable, taggable, and insurable for road use.
As more communities adopt golf cart-friendly policies and infrastructure, and manufacturers continue to innovate with improved performance, comfort, and safety features, the role of golf carts is set to expand. Let’s explore this evolving trend, and see how you can transform your golf cart into a stylish beast.
Why Mod Your EV Golf Cart?
Performance mods and accessories can:
- Improve speed and handling
- Improve safety
- Improve comfort
- Improve longevity
Style mods not only personalize your cart and project your personality, they can enhance comfort, convenience, and visibility.
Safety and Regulations About Modding
Want to know the simplest way to ensure your EV golf cart mods are legal, made for your cart model, and won’t void your warranty? Have your EV golf cart dealer install all accessories and mods.
Understanding local laws and regulations is crucial. Most golf carts are not legally allowed to operate on public roads unless a local ordinance has made specific exceptions for them.
To make golf carts street-legal, some requirements must be met, such as having safety features like seatbelts, headlights, taillights, turn signals, and mirrors. You also need to have a valid license, be over 15, and have insurance coverage – and they can only be driven on certain public roads, not all of them.
Read more about Florida golf cart laws, simplified
If you’re modding a low-speed vehicle or converting a cart to take on public roads, make sure you have a full picture of what it takes to be street-legal in your cart, whether that means talking to your golf cart dealer, your insurance agent, or visiting your local DMV.
Golf Cart Modding Personalities
Whether you prefer a sporty look, an off-road adventure aesthetic, or a luxurious cruiser, there are endless possibilities to make your golf cart truly unique.
- The Speed Demon: This golf cart features a high-performance motor and upgraded battery for maximum speed and acceleration. Its sleek, aerodynamic body kit and custom paint job give it a sporty and aggressive look, turning heads. Additional safety mods help protect the driver and passengers.
- The Off-Roader: Designed for adventure, this golf cart features lifted suspension, off-road tires, and a rugged body kit. With its custom LED light bar and rear cargo rack, it’s ready to tackle any terrain while providing ample storage for gear.
- The Luxury Cruiser: This modded golf cart is all about comfort and style. It boasts plush seats with premium upholstery, a custom sound system, and a sleek body kit with a metallic paint job. With its added cup holders and storage compartments, it’s perfect for cruising in style and indulging in luxury.
Remember: Consult with professionals to ensure your EV golf cart mods are legal, appropriate for your golf cart model, and won’t void your warranty. Your safest bet is to have your golf cart dealer do the mods.
A Guide to Upgrades: Mods for Performance and Style
Start by assessing your current golf cart usage:
- Is your golf cart meeting all your needs?
- Do you wish you could use your golf cart in other ways?
- How often do you transport other people in your golf cart?
- Do you ever haul heavy loads?
- What type of terrain do you take your golf cart on?
- Do you need to use your golf cart for towing?
Knowing what you want out of your golf cart can help you key in on the modifications you want to start with.
The motor and battery are the heart and soul of your EV golf cart. Upgrading these components can significantly improve your cart’s speed and range, allowing you to cover more ground in less time.
High-performance motors provide more torque and power, resulting in increased speed and acceleration. Brushless motors are another popular choice due to their efficiency and durability. They also require less maintenance compared to traditional brushed motors.
For more torque, look for a motor with a larger field coil inside. If you want to go fast, look for motors with a smaller field coil.
For electric golf carts, upgrading the battery can significantly improve both performance and range. Investing in high-quality, long-lasting batteries can provide better power output and longer driving distances between charges. Lithium-ion batteries are gaining popularity, as they are lightweight, have a longer lifespan, and charge more quickly compared to traditional lead-acid batteries.
Larger Tires and Wheels
Opting for high-performance tires with a more aggressive tread pattern can improve traction and grip, especially on wet or hilly terrains. Larger-diameter tires can enhance the cart’s ground clearance and give it a more rugged look.
When choosing tires, consider the type of terrain you typically encounter and the specific needs of your golf cart. Common treads for off-road golf cart tires include directional tread, great for mud and dirt, sand tires, knobby tires, and all-terrain tires. When shopping for larger tires, check the ratings and designations. If you’re planning to go fast or off-road, look for tires with a B or C rating.
If you’re planning to add bigger tires and wheels, you’ll need a lift kit. Not only do lift kits accommodate larger tires for more difficult terrain, but they can also help create a more comfortable ride. Lift kits that increase your golf cart’s spindle length and size can improve off-road stability.
The suspension and tires dictate how comfortable the ride is. Upgrading can greatly improve your golf cart’s handling, stability, and overall comfort. Whether you prefer a smoother ride on roads or plan to traverse rough terrains, suspension and tire upgrades will make a noticeable difference.
Coilover shocks and adjustable suspension kits are popular choices for EV golf cart enthusiasts looking to enhance their cart’s suspension performance. These upgrades provide better shock absorption, increased ground clearance, and improved maneuverability.
Heavy-Duty Leaf Springs
Adding heavy-duty leaf springs to your golf cart can improve suspension, especially if you plan to use it off-road. These springs offer more rear suspension and stability.
One way to instantly transform the appearance of your EV golf cart is by installing a body kit. Body kits are designed to replace or modify the existing body panels of your golf cart, giving it a quick and dramatic makeover. From sleek and sporty designs to rugged and off-road looks, there are countless body kits available to suit every taste.
Nothing grabs attention like a well-executed custom paint job. Whether you want a classic glossy finish or a vibrant and eye-catching design, custom paint can take your golf cart’s style to the next level. For best results, consult with a professional that specializes in automotive finishes to ensure a high-quality and long-lasting paint job.
Ultimate Carts, Ultimate Marine, and Ultimate Auto deliver custom rides—EV golf carts, luxury boats, and exotic cars—together with legendary customer service named, what else, the Ultimate Experience! One tenet of the Ultimate Experience is that your ride feels like it’s made for you and no one else, whether that’s adding accessories or personalizing upholstery to fit your individual style.
Seating Upholstery Upgrade
Consider upgrading the upholstery of your EV golf cart to enhance comfort, style, and longevity. Replacing worn-out seats with plush, high-quality upholstery not only adds a luxurious feel but can improve the durability of your seating.
Upgrading to more comfortable and supportive seats can make a world of difference, especially during long rides – or if you’re carting around VIPs. Consider options with extra padding, lumbar support, and adjustable features to ensure maximum comfort.
You can also add more seating by adding a rear flip seat. Additionally, adding seat covers made from durable and weather-resistant materials can protect your seats from wear and tear.`
Additional Storage and Cupholders
If you’re adding additional seating to ferry more passengers around, make sure you have enough storage and cupholders for everyone. There’s a seemingly never-ending array of options for adding storage to your golf cart, from trunks to trays to clasps and caddies.
Consider equipping custom golf cart floor mats to improve the overall life of the OEM flooring. Mats can cover the entire floor area, from the dash to the seat, and there’s usually a perfect trim color to complement your cart.
LED Light Bar
Stock lights on your golf cart might not be sufficient for safe night driving. Adding an LED light bar can dramatically improve visibility for nighttime or off-road adventures.
One of the easiest and most practical ways to customize the sound system on your golf cart is by adding Bluetooth speakers or a soundbar. Advanced soundbars for EV golf carts are weather-resistant and made for outdoor use. A fresh sound system with subwoofer and amps can help create an immersive music experience or sharper-sounding podcasts.
Tips for Modding Your EV Golf Cart
While modding your EV golf cart is an exciting endeavor, it’s important to prioritize safety throughout the process. Here are some considerations to keep in mind:
- Consult with professionals: If you’re not experienced in modding vehicles, it’s best to consult with professionals who specialize in EV golf carts. They can provide expert advice and ensure that the modifications are done correctly and safely. Your golf cart dealer will be a great resource for parts, service, and advice.
- Follow manufacturer guidelines: Always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations when making modifications to your golf cart. This will help ensure that the modifications are compatible and won’t void any warranties. Again, your golf cart dealer can give you expert advice.
- Consider safety features: When upgrading your golf cart, consider adding safety features such as seat belts, roll bars, and headlights. These features can improve the overall safety of your golf cart and may be needed to make your cart street-legal if you’re planning on driving your cart on public roads.
- Regular maintenance: Keep up with regular maintenance and inspections to ensure that your golf cart remains in good working condition, mods and all.
Remember, safety should always be a top priority when modding your EV golf cart. Enjoy the process of customization, but never compromise on safety.
Where to Find Modding Parts and Accessories
When it comes to finding parts and accessories for EV golf cart mods, try these sources:
- Specialty retailers: There are numerous retailers that cater specifically to golf cart enthusiasts. These retailers offer a wide range of modding parts and accessories, including motors, batteries, body kits, and more. They often have knowledgeable staff who can provide guidance and recommendations based on your specific needs.
- Online marketplaces: You can find a vast selection of products, compare prices, and read customer reviews to make informed decisions. However, it’s important to ensure that you’re purchasing from reputable sellers and that the products meet your quality standards.
- Golf cart forums and communities: Joining golf cart forums and communities can be a valuable resource for finding modding parts and accessories. Members often share their experiences, recommendations, and even sell used parts. Engaging with the community can also provide valuable insights and inspiration for your own modding projects.
- Local golf cart dealerships: If you prefer a more hands-on approach, visiting your local golf cart dealer can be a great option. They often carry a selection of modding parts and accessories, and their staff can provide personalized assistance and advice. Additionally, by purchasing from a local dealer, you can support local businesses and establish a relationship for future maintenance and service needs.
Regardless of where you choose to find modding parts and accessories, it’s important to do thorough research, compare prices, and read reviews to ensure you’re getting the best quality products for your EV golf cart.
Modding your EV golf cart for performance and style opens up a world of possibilities. From upgrading the motor and battery to enhancing the suspension and tires, there are numerous modifications you can make to improve the overall performance of your golf cart. Adding custom body kits, paint jobs, and accessories allows you to express your style and make your golf cart stand out from the rest.
However, it’s important to prioritize safety throughout the modding process. Consult with professionals, follow manufacturer guidelines, and consider adding safety features to ensure a safe and enjoyable golf cart experience.
Enjoy the process of customization, and most importantly, have fun cruising around in your personalized EV golf cart!